RJP Computing writes:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > let me know the thoughts about an installer that downloads dynamically.
> > For a 'batteries included environment' I think it'd be best to provide
> > everything and not rely on the user having an internet connection....
>
> Good point. I have a hidden feature that if you don't have the VC 8.0 CRT
> installed and you have the 'vcredist_x86.exe' placed next to the installer
> file, it won't go download and use that file....

This basically seems ok.  My only comment is that during the install my personal
firewall popped up saying that the program was attempting to download a file
from luaforge.net.  The installer only explained this as "Please wait while
Setup is downloading extra files to your computer...File: vcredist_x86.exe".  I
think it would be better if the installer asked permission before attempting
download, explaining that it is downloading "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
Redistributable", while possibly also providing the user the opportunity to
manually download it and resume the installation according to the method above.
 The downloaded file preferably should be checksumed.

I can foresee Lua For Windows eventually allowing a large number of optional
modules to be installed, along the lines of Cygwin, Linux, and ActiveState
distributions, where the installer may download selected modules off the
Internet, or perhaps from a user-selectable Rocks repository.