Javier Guerra wrote:
Lua is not new. it's really mature and stable (arguably much more than
JavaScript, but that's a biased opinion).

JS is much more well-known, so you really have a lot of code to pick
and copy.  about said code's quality.... there are some good libraries
but not so many.

browser support for Lua? 0

for a server Lua is a great solution, also for the client, if you're
writing it (really easy to embed in C code).

if you want to program for an existing browser, go with JS

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus I'm coming to also (to use JS). Too bad. I will play with Lua some more though. It looks like a nice alternative to things like Perl and Ruby. Never hurts to add another tool to the tool box though.

Thanks to everyone that responded. This was a very enlightening discussion.