One workaround we use for the Kepler .exes is that they look for a
%EXENAME%.lua file in the same path where they are, if it's there they
use it for bootstrapping the Lua envinronment (setting LUA_PATH at the
least). But it's awkward as users have to create these files by hand,
so we just tell them to pass /scripts %LUAROCKS_BIN_DIR% to the
LuaRocks installer, less hassle. Maybe LuaRocks could create a
%EXENAME%.lua file with the appropriate bootstrapping when it copies
an .exe to scripts_dir?

--
Fabio Mascarenhas