In case any of you are interested, I have recently migrated off of Perl
and onto Lua for looking up books and so on in library catalogs.
My primary goal is to have a list of books I already own so that
I don't keep buying them :-)

The software does lookups by ISBN and retrieves and parses MARC
records to find author, title, and other info.  There is a fallback
to Amazon Web Services if I cannot find information in a library catalog.

The software is in a wretched state, but if people are curious,
they can look in http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/drop/z39.50

Norman