You remind me of me when I was young and foolish. Except I didn't
started "hate threads" back then. And I don't recall having problems
similar to 'every file requires me to tell it what program to use to
open it". Hmmm, maybe you remind me of someone else. In any case, what
platform are you on? (I really don't think you can speak Linux, so I'm
going to assume Win32 here) Did you use the right installer? If so,
put the Lua directory in your PATH (google if you don't know how to do
this), and then just "lua <filename.lua>" should do the trick.