2008/2/15, Wesley Smith <wesley.hoke@gmail.com>:
I don't think you're going to see a switch flip and the wiki change.
If you really want to update the lua.org wiki engine, I imagine you
could do something like duplicate much of it's data in your Lua wiki
of choice to "kick the tires" so to speak and show that what you're
suggesting is possible.  Then perhaps it could be considered in a more
serious manner.  I shudder to think at the amount of work a migration
of the lua.org wiki would take.  If much was done, that would take
away perhaps the biggest reason not to switch.

There's no questioning that all data can and should be imported into the new wiki.
It's not a matter of "if it can be done". It certainly can be done. A Perl script may use the wiki's API to obtain all data and export to whatever format you like.

The issues are rather:
1) Would this change receive approval from the community and from John Belmonte (domain owner)?
2) Would the new wiki receive support from the community and the wiki author (e.g. Yuri, in case sputnik is used)?
3) Can we get a server running Kepler, either at PepperFish (current hoster) or another place?

Unfortunately, it seems John Belmonte is not paying attention to this thread, if he is still on the list.

Thiago