I don't think you're going to see a switch flip and the wiki change.
If you really want to update the lua.org wiki engine, I imagine you
could do something like duplicate much of it's data in your Lua wiki
of choice to "kick the tires" so to speak and show that what you're
suggesting is possible.  Then perhaps it could be considered in a more
serious manner.  I shudder to think at the amount of work a migration
of the lua.org wiki would take.  If much was done, that would take
away perhaps the biggest reason not to switch.

wes