Look on page 140 of "Programming in Lua".  There are suggested environment variables for dll and module files.

Using the Windows XP interface via "My Computer" properties:
Create the environment variables listed below:
New
Variable name: LUA_PATH
Variable value: ?.lua;C:\Program Files\Lua\module\?.lua
New
Variable name: LUA_CPATH
Variable value: C:\Program Files\Lua\lib\?.dll

With these settings I put the lua5.1.dll in the Program Files\Lua directory along with Lua.exe.
All other dll files go into Program Files\Lua\lib and any .lua modules go into Program Files\Lua\module.