We've had a discussion on #lua regarding the current documentation (or lack thereof) of the 5.1 package model. I've learned how the package model works simply by studying the compat-5.1 module, but there is no guarantee that this implementation is 100% true to the implementation in the lua core, and the manual fails to deliver key aspects of how it works. Most people only seem to touch the package model using require, module, and package.path/cpath, and the whole aspect of loaders seem to get lost, leading lots of people to regard overriding require() as the only means of adjusting it's behavior. So, I see it fit to provide additional documentation regarding this, and also perhaps a page on the wiki which further explores it's uses.

Thanks dudes..
Keffo