Thanks for the suggestion of using luac (I hadn't thought at luac at all!) and I hope the Lua Gems will be published soon (is there any place where they are stored in draft form?).

Unfortunately I've no time at the moment to create a generic solution so I decided to take a shortcut :)

I wrote a small merge program (see code below) that takes the source files (in dependency order) and emits a single lua file whose execution loads the libraries in the correct order and then executes the main  code.

To make the module/require work, each module is enclosed in a function and then execute it (as if it was loaded by dofile())

__xx = function (...)
 ...  MODULE CODE ...
end
__xx()

then I can compile it with luac and use srlua to create a single exe file.

Quick and dirty but works for me :)

-------------------------------
function copy(fname)
  f = io.open(fname)