> Most people only seem to touch the package model using require,
> module, and package.path/cpath, and the whole aspect of loaders seem
> to get lost, leading lots of people to regard overriding require()
> as the only means of adjusting it's behavior.  So, I see it fit to
> provide additional documentation regarding this, and also perhaps a
> page on the wiki which further explores it's uses.

The reason we never wrote this documentation is that we planned to
change the name of package.loaders. We have a problem that "loader"
means two different things: a function to load a module, and a function
to searh for loaders. The first use is somewhat fixed by lua_load, and
the second by package.loaders.

But it seems now is too late for that...

-- Roberto