On 16-Oct-06, at 7:02 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:10:40 -0400
Ralph Hempel <rhempel@hempeldesigngroup.com> wrote:

Build a standard library that a majority uses and can be made
partially loadable and you have a winner.

What would be required make this a reallity and not just talk?

Would trying to collect all current libs (like luafilesystem and
lposix) and list all functions be a start?

Where could this be done? On wiki?

That was kind of the point of http://lua-users.org/wiki/ExtensionProposal

The idea was to define interfaces (that is, how functions would work if implemented), and collect implementations for particular OS's. (At least, that was my idea :) ). I don't know that there is consensus on this idea, but it seems more reasonable to me than having every OS interface be idiosyncratically different and under-documented.

I think this is orthogonal to CPAN and PEAR. That is, it only attempts to specify OS-specific interfaces, and only those OS-specific interfaces which are likely to be implementable on more than one OS.