Natanael Copa wrote:

Posix could be splitted up into smaller pieces too.

for example:
  fs - filesystem functions (chdir, mkdir, glob, is_file, is_dir)
  ps - process functions (fork, get/set priority, wait, signal)
  time - date and time functions

Things that dont fit in into common libs could go to either posix or
win32. (chroot, setuid etc)

I haven't looked at the Posix Library, but I find my own
applications use LuaFileSystem, LuaSocket, LuaSQL, and others
quite frequently.

But not necessarily all at once.

I'd be in favour of a general purpose library that could be
compiled and loaded in smaller grained pieces...

In any case, it would be awesome if we could try make some kind of
collection of standard libs rather than everyone making their own.

Yes, it would. Coming from the Forth and Tcl worlds, I can tell
you that this is the make/break point in a language's evolution.

Build a standard library that a majority uses and can be made
partially loadable and you have a winner.

Build a library that half of the users like and the other half
rolls their own, possibly competitive library and you split
the evolutionary tree down the middle and the whole thing
falls over.

Ralph