Perhaps we should open 'forums' for the revisited areas...? ;P

And leave the list for fresh ones.

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:29:07 -0400
 John Belmonte <john@neggie.net> wrote:
Javier Guerra wrote:
On Tuesday 03 October 2006 9:49 am, David Olofson wrote:
I wasn't really aware of this issue at first (haven't designed all that many languages before), and of course, got it wrong in EEL (local by default), did some scripting, realized it was just plain stupid, switched to explicit declarations for everything, and never
looked back.

i've read (and agree with) the long and theoretical explanations about why local by default is the wrong choice; but could you share any short anecdote that convinced you of this?

my point is that a short and simple example might be more convincing than the 'real' reasons (and easier to repeat again and again each time this issue is mentioned...)

A little searching of the list would avoid rehashing this every year.
Mike Pall summed things up well in August 2005 [1].

If you read the Python PEP "Statically Nested Scopes" [2] carefully, you'll find that lexical scoping in Python does not allow rebinding of outer variables, exactly because of variables being local by default.

[2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0227/