Robert Osfield wrote:
The only little hickup was that I never found a good tour of how to do thorough C++ and Lua integration, this took reading online source code, and spending time thinking about how to integrate the two and experimenting with code.

Game Programming Gems 6 has a few nice chapters on Lua, specically Chapter 4.2 "Binding C/C++ Objects to Lua" by Waldemar Celes, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo and Roberto Ierusalimschy. This is sort of what I was hoping to get from "Game Development with Lua". Its a bit pricey just for those chapters but if you're interested in other aspects of the book it might be worth it.