I think the search is for a meaningful syntax that does something,  does some
work,  and the madness to be avoided is a syntax that does nothing,  for
example:

   void convertToDisplayValues( HashMap recordForView ) {
        Iterator iter = recordForView.keySet().iterator();
        while ( iter.hasNext() ) {
            String fieldName = (String)iter.next();
            if ( ((String)recordForView.get(fieldName)).equals("on") ) {
                recordForView.put(fieldName, "*** ADD ***");
            }

The same thing in PHP actually starts to reveal some meaning,  do some work:

function convertToDisplayValues( $recordForView ) {
          foreach ( $recordForView as $fieldName => $fieldVal ) {
                    if ( $fieldVal == "on" ) {
                            $recordForView[$fieldName] = "*** ADD ***";
                    }

Probably the same thing in Python would be even more concise.  I don't know
what this blurb would look like in Lua because I haven't written any Lua yet
:-) ...Can someone please?

Best Regards,
-R