I haven't looked, but isn't there some way to pull environment data out of a
Lua state?  This could be held while the VM is restarted, then pushed into
the new VM....

I'm just throwing things out - and probably making no sense.  But, if I say
something that spurs you to think of a solution, all's well that ends well -
lol.  I find that I solve problems faster if I try to explain what I'm doing
to a buddy of mine (he has minimal scripting/programming background) - by
the time I explain my problem to him I usually see the solution.

Rich