If all the state you need can be expressed in "INI-like" key, value format, then it wouldn't be a huge endeavour to write C functions capable of accessing such "shared" space. This would be handy otherwise, too, especially if the system would support informing Lua machines of changes to the values (similar to the way GConf is used, between Gtk+ processes).

Perhaps I'll do this kind of a system, but .. won't be there for your launch date (hmm... unless you hire me for this :)

-asko