Brett wrote:

Does anybody know if there any tech docs available on how
Lua is implemented? I find the source isn't very easier to
"read"...

True.  I haven't seen anything that really gets into the
nitty-gritty, but the following resources may be helpful, at
least to give you a bit more context to do your own digging:

If I remember correctly, "The Implementation of Lua 5.0" has
detailed coverage of things like how upvalues are closed:

 http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/doc/jucs05.pdf

Hopefully (for your purposes) it talks in detail about Lua
5.0 GC too.

(I say "if I remember correctly" because I can't find my
local copy of it, and www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br seems to be
down right now.)

Kein-Hong Man's "No-Frills Guide" explains what all the VM
opcodes do:

 http://luaforge.net/docman/?group_id=83

--
Aaron