Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
As a user, I was personally a little frustrated trying to figure out a few migration aspects. The 5.1 manual highlights incompatibilities between 5.1 and 5.0, but doesn't explain how to overcome them.

I am afraid it is too late to fix this in the manual (5.1 is already
out).  Maybe someone could volunteer to write a page in the wiki with
this material? It would be really useful. (Actually, I think the wiki
is a better place than the manual for this kind of material. As you
said, some changes are almost automatic, but others may offer different
alternatives involving specific techniques for specific situations.)

-- Roberto

If I may be so bold to suggest that the Lua manual ought to be wiki-fied in it's entirety. It should be moderated of course...

The ability to quickly make corrections, add more detailed information, explanatory annotations and a variety of examples from many sources are obvious benefits of a hypertext IMO.

On a Lua language implementation the wiki could be snapshotted and distributed, updated to that current release, as part of each Lua distribution. (A "refresh from master web site" feature would be very, very nice!)

Just a thought.

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA