On Feb 21, 2006, at 6:06 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
As a user, I was personally a little frustrated trying to figure out
a few migration aspects. The 5.1 manual highlights incompatibilities
between 5.1 and 5.0, but doesn't explain how to overcome them.

I am afraid it is too late to fix this in the manual (5.1 is already
out).  Maybe someone could volunteer to write a page in the wiki with
this material? It would be really useful. (Actually, I think the wiki
is a better place than the manual for this kind of material. As you
said, some changes are almost automatic, but others may offer different
alternatives involving specific techniques for specific situations.)

Ah, I assumed that because the manual was on a web page, it was a 'live' document that could be edited by the powers-that-be as necessary.

I've created a (skeleton) wiki page to address migration issues. As I find time I'll work on it, but would appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences with migrating (especially on the back- end side).

http://lua-users.org/wiki/MigratingToFiveOne