On this day of 1-14-2006 7:26 PM, Michael Abbott saw fit to scribe:
On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 22:12 -0500, Rici Lake wrote:
An URL? As in http://www.william-le-gros.gov/, the last URL of York?

Maybe I'm just behind the times, pronounciation-wise, but I pronounce it "you are ell", so it's a URL to me.

Shouldn't it still strictly be "an URL" even if you pronounce it that
way?  That is, you'd say "Give me an ETA".  I thought that it might be
because URL sounds like it has a silent 'y' but that also isn't the case
for something like "I'll be there in an hour".

If you pronounce it "you are ell", it should be "a URL", not an URL. The 'y' isn't silent, else it'd be "oo are ell" in which case you'd use "an" before it. The 'a' vs. 'an' rule doesn't have to do strictly with the following word having a vowel, but with how you pronounce it. I don't know the technical term for that, though...

--
~David-Haley
http://david.the-haleys.org