On 25-Aug-05, at 5:04 PM, Ben Sunshine-Hill wrote:

UTF8: IIRC, Lua supports UTF8 in strings but may have trouble if you
try to use UTF8 identifiers in code or string literals. I haven't done
much i18n, though, so someone else should correct me on this.

UTF8 will work fine in string literals (but Lua won't convert to UTF8). But you would not be able to use multibyte characters in identifiers.