I don't think so.  I don't class the GPL as free because it's not free
of restrictions.  It has several, and for some show stopping,
restrictions.

GPL is not 100% free, but it has it's uses: it is what moves the Linux comunity. It prevents what happened to some previous unix works that some comercial version took over and the comunity disbadled.

But Lua is a libary, so it is to be used as a *part* of a system. I think that this is the big difference: not all system will have the same licene, so no limitation is better.

There "could" be a comercial version of Lua, 1000% better, sold for US$1000,00, but who cares...

Alain