> just curious: it seems you like a BSD license much better than GPL (i
> guess it's because BSD gives you more freedoms to use the code, among
> other things).  What do you think of LGPL as a less virulent license?
> i think it's a nice compromise between freedom and protection.

There are deep philosophical differences between BSD and GPL - getting
into which would create a lot of noise on this list.

I am not a great fan of LGPL either - for the same reasons offered by
Glenn Maynard. Any license that places a constraint on how I build and
deploy my software is a turn off for me. At a fundamental level such
software is not really 'free' as in 'freedom'.

Today incompatible licenses (at the systems level - not libraries) is
the number one cause for constantly re-inventing the wheel. So many
libraries, so much overlap, some many licenses, so much of wasted time
and resources.

Read http://opensource.org/docs/policy/licenseproliferation.php for
understanding some of the problems caused by the multitude of licenses.
They are in the proces of deprecating many licenses as 'not' open source
going forward. If there was a vote, I would vote for deprecating GPL for
sure.

Vijay Aswadhati