At 20:32 29/3/2005, Romulo Bahiense wrote:
1) It IS compatible with Delphi (ObjectPascal). ObjectPascal can use most available calling conventions, including cdecl;

That´s good news. I had the impression that Delphi use only stdcall. VB still use it, right?

2) Please, name the DLLs as lua.dll and lualib.dll. It is hard enough to find a pre-compiled DLL, even harder to find a library which uses the same naming convention. (lua.dll, lualib.dll, lua+lib.dll, lua5.dll, lualib5.dll ...)

For every new version that is not backward compatible we have to add the version number to the file name (at least the major version number). So several versions of Lua can coexist in the same system, can be easily linked, and identified.

  FYI we have applications using Lua 3, 4 and 5 at Tecgraf...

BTW, I know this has been discussed before, but... Please, package/library developers, distribute DLLs with your packages/libraries if you can. Please :)

We also discussed this issue. It is easier if everything was distributed in dynamic library form. But if the DLL distribution is not standard then things get harder again. Also not all developers feel comfortable working with dynamic libraries.

What we are doing is a first step toward that direction. Maybe we are on the right track, maybe we have to fix it among the way. But now at least we have two groups using the same set of libraries.

Best,
Antonio Scuri

PS: The MacOS X binaries are missing because I have to fix the dynamic library compilation... It will be available by the end of the week.