Hi,

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Or just do "make DL=" at the top level...
>
> Does that warrant a top-level "macosx" target just for that? Or perhaps
> a note in INSTALL suffices?

Some BSD-based systems do not need -ldl, but need -Wl,-E.
Others use gcc, but not the GNU linker and need other options to
export all symbols. Others provide both their own compiler and gcc.

Maybe it would suffice to add targets for a few of the most common
OS/toolchain combinations. This is obviously highly subjective,
but my list would be:
  Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, Solaris
Maybe also:
  HP-UX, AIX
(but you can guess where they are heading).

[Non-POSIX operating systems and cross-compilers do not work well
with the provided Makefiles, anyway.]

These differ mostly in CFLAGS, LDFLAGS and DL. I can provide these
settings for all of them (except for AIX and OpenBSD).

Maybe the top-level Makefile should print a list of the possible targets
by default and then require you to type (say) "make linux".

Some systems may need changes to luaconf.h, too. E.g. setjmp vs. _setjmp
makes a huge performance difference on *BSD and Mac OS X when you are
using coroutines.

Bye,
     Mike