On Feb 25, 2005, at 14:27, Doug Rogers wrote:

If I thought so then I would be in your park. I find it not to be confusing at all, and only inconsistent in that it doesn't apply to non-tables - for the same reason that '12334abs'[4] doesn't apply to to non-tables. Is [] inconsistent and confusing? :) At some point the language makes decisions about where to specialize and to apply constructs differently.

Agree. But I would rather call this specific "decision" about colons a short sighted fashion compromise.

All in all, the dot notation is more than enough to produce quite readable code without bothering with colon this or colon that.

If one is so inclined, one could even turn Lua into something approaching -gasp- JavaLite:

this.load().clear().store()

https://alt.textdrive.com/lua/19/lua-story-of-o/

This is quite good enough for me :)

Cheers