On Feb 19, 2005, at 00:01, Glenn Maynard wrote:

Huh?  Lua is specifically designed to be a good extension language, and
not at all designed to be an application language.

Well... funnily enough I see Lua exactly the other way around: a good, small, extensible language :) I guess you could spin it both way.

 The good uses of a
language come from its design; you don't design a language and then go
figure out what it's good at.

Hmmm... in a nutshell, this is pretty much the genesis of a lot of languages, no? ... look at Java for instance... :P

(Of course, I'm getting that from having read the manual and PiL, having
used the language, and from my personal experience of what properties a
language must have to be good at handling large applications--it's very
clear that Lua doesn't have them, and isn't intended to. That's probably part of why it's so good at being an extension language--they didn't try
to make it do everything.)

A language doesn't have to do everything. But it shouldn't preclude "doing everything".

As someone said at the bottom of page 105 of "Programming in Lua":

"Lua gives you the power, you build the mechanisms"

That's good enough for me :)

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay