On Feb 18, 2005, at 12:36, Glenn Maynard wrote:

A tip: using a real name on technical lists will tend to get you
a better response.

Right... this is email... there is no such a thing as a "read name" :)

Probably by having the application that's using Lua do the appropriate
conversion to UTF-8 at the entry/exit points, and using setlocale()
to change the locale to UTF-8.

The application is in Lua.

No, it's not always ISO-8859-1. (Don't know where he got that answer from.) In Unix, it depends on the locale; in Windows, it's the ANSI codepage. My encoding is UTF-8, not ISO-8859-1. The encoding on my Windows machine is
currently CP932 (Shift-JIS).

Ok. So Lua's encoding reflects the OS encoding?

"Support" in what way?  What operations do you want to do?

I simply want to create, manipulate and vend text resources. And would like to make sure that whatever text I create is in a known encoding format.

In this case, you'd probably want an interface to iconv. Accepting multiple tagged character sets in a single application is fairly atypical for i18n support: most applications only need to be able to deal with the language of
the user.  Web browsers, mailers, etc. need more than that.

I'm working on a web server. In Lua.

One generally extends a webserver with Lua--one doesn't write one *in* Lua. :)

There is a first for everything.

http://luaforge.net/projects/luahttpd/
http://luaforge.net/projects/xavante/

If you don't understand i18n in general, you can't really understand
how to deal with it in Lua.

Lets suspend disbelieve one second and pretend that I heard of i18n before. Just not in Lua and/or ANSI C :)

Thanks in any case.

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay