I disagree.
This sort of defeats the purpose of the rationalization.
Given that luaconf.h is only #inclded by the C modules
in the Lua distro, maybe the way to do this is to talk
Luiz/Roberto into changing the luaconf.h .include to

#ifndef LUACONF_H
#define LUACONF_H "luaconf.h"
#endif
#include LUACONF_H

Then you could override this location as you wish..

e.g.
cl /D LUACONF_H=''"my_alternate_conf.h'"

However, you remind me of a related issue.
luaconf.h defines lua_userinit..
This would appear to make the define in lua.c for
LUA_USERCONFIG to be redundant.