El 12/01/2005, a las 5:22, skaller escribió:

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 11:13, Mike Pall wrote:

There is still some way to go until we can do the equivalent of 'cpan foo'
to install a module.

That would be really great, but we need a standard packaging system, in order to have a standard package distribution system. Note that having a working LuaSocket opened the door to have a CPAN-like module repository in Lua.

As a newbie, I can't even *find* the modules people talk about.

Just take a look at the «Libraries and Bindings» page at the Lua-users wiki:
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaAddons

And that afirmation from Skaller saying "can't even find modules" demostrates that we need the standard packaging system, and we need it now. Now modules might be hard to find; but if modules are "hard to find", they're "even harder to install"!!!

I strongly believe that all the efforts that we, all the Lua community, are making towards standarization in module packaging worths adding a new feature to the Lua core. And note that the new packaging system only added a few not-so-big functions to Lua sources, so I think the current implementation has a very good functionality vs. size tradeoff :-D

--
Adrian Perez
Keyboard Error: Press F1 to resume.