> (Unlike proposals to change the language itself, which are allways
> subject to taste, proposals to change the implementation are usually
> easy to judge, once we have the new implementation to compare with
> the old. So, the best argument to convince us of such changes is a
> well-implemented working prototype.)

On the subject of evaluating a Lua implementation, is there a full
test suite for Lua?  The tests in the "test" directory in the Lua
source seem like a start, but not a full test suite by any means - the
comment in the README states, "They are meant to be run to make sure
Lua is built correctly..."  While a quick test to ensure a valid build
definitely has a place, a full test suite that exercises everything in
the language would be a huge help in trying out alternate
implementation strategies like the one for coroutines proposed in this
thread.