> I would have to say that speed-wise plain text lua scripts do
> not handle really large arrays of vertices all that gracefully.
> Byte-compiled scripts may fare better

Yes, luac was created exactly for this reason: to support fast loading of
large graphical metafiles. See http://www.lua.org/history.html .

> Byte-compiled scripts ... cannot be exchanged across different architectures

They can, as long as the following sizes match: int, size_t, lua_Number,
Instruction, and number of bits in each operand. See LoadHeader in lundump.c.

See also http://www.lua.org/manual/5.0/luac.html .

But I agree that this will have to be revised when 64-bit machines take over.
--lhf