Philippe Lhoste escribió:

I felt in the same trap, but I finished to follow the README instructions with success (Win98SE). I understand this is only a demo showing the proof-of-concept, so I won't complain about this convoluted method :-)

Yes, a final version must have a "builder" with script checking included.

The idea (of multiplaform/Lua based installer) is interesting. Of course, it shows its limits and constraints: using a 183KB binary to install a program is a bit heavy (compared to NSIS...).

That's the price to pay for multiplaform (FLTK) and complex/powerful scripting capability (Lua), it adds quite an overhead.

It is OK for big applications but a burden to install small applications (that can be below 180KB...) Then again, such programs rarely need an installer (except for special progs like shell extensions) or the clueless user will have to paid the price (bigger download) to ease his life...

The central goal of the project is portability.

Minor style remark: for Windows paths, I prefer to write:
[[c:\Program Files\SoongSoft\SoongInstall]]
instead of:
'c:\\Program Files\\SoongSoft\\SoongInstall'

Easier for the eyes and the typing hand...

Thanks to Lua, you are free to write it as you like. ;-)

In the wizard, the '%.1f MB' strings are not subtitued with real value, I suppose it is left for future developments.

I haven't decided yet where to put some code: static C++ side or dynamic Lua side.

The FLTK file selection dialog is ugly (fonts too big, bold, etc.). And it puts '/' as path separators. It probably works, but it can be a bit disturbing for some users.

I don't like it either. I'll derive new classes for some stock FLTK widgets.

I suppose there is still a long way to go, to handle platform specificities, like creating various icons (or not) on Windows, sub-directories in the Start menu, creating uninstall entry, registrering components and extensions, etc.

First I have to add some "plugin" method to the beast. Then it will be more clear what features has to be built into the installer. But remember, I'm looking for portability. I'm not competing with great Win32 installers like NSIS or Inno Setup.

But so far, I see this as a good start, with clean interface (beside the proprietary file selector) and good functionality.
I am looking forward a real thing. :-)

Thanks Philippe,
Daniel