Daniel Quintela wrote:
Ignacio Castaño escribió:
I really like the idea, but I've not been able to run the win32 binaries, it
shows a message box saying: "Setup image is corrupt".

Ignacio:

You must to "build" a setup or setup.exe following the instructions in README. The executable shows that message because it can't find a zip "pasted" at its end.

I felt in the same trap, but I finished to follow the README instructions with success (Win98SE). I understand this is only a demo showing the proof-of-concept, so I won't complain about this convoluted method :-)

The idea (of multiplaform/Lua based installer) is interesting. Of course, it shows its limits and constraints: using a 183KB binary to install a program is a bit heavy (compared to NSIS...).

That's the price to pay for multiplaform (FLTK) and complex/powerful scripting capability (Lua), it adds quite an overhead.

It is OK for big applications but a burden to install small applications (that can be below 180KB...) Then again, such programs rarely need an installer (except for special progs like shell extensions) or the clueless user will have to paid the price (bigger download) to ease his life... That's why I appreciate sites providing both files (raw Zip file and installer).

I like the capability of localization (the language file). I suppose you will provide a way to see the current language setting of the user and/or to choose a language in the wizard.

Minor style remark: for Windows paths, I prefer to write:
[[c:\Program Files\SoongSoft\SoongInstall]]
instead of:
'c:\\Program Files\\SoongSoft\\SoongInstall'

Easier for the eyes and the typing hand...

In the wizard, the '%.1f MB' strings are not subtitued with real value, I suppose it is left for future developments.

The FLTK file selection dialog is ugly (fonts too big, bold, etc.). And it puts '/' as path separators. It probably works, but it can be a bit disturbing for some users.

You don't create anything, which is OK for a demo.

I suppose there is still a long way to go, to handle platform specificities, like creating various icons (or not) on Windows, sub-directories in the Start menu, creating uninstall entry, registrering components and extensions, etc.

But so far, I see this as a good start, with clean interface (beside the proprietary file selector) and good functionality.
I am looking forward a real thing. :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France