On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:19, Andre Nathan wrote:
> Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva said:
> >     In my Debian GNU/Linux machine, the Guile libraries live in
> > /usr/share/guile/1.6, the Python-GTK+ binding in /usr/share/pygtk/2.0,
> > some PERL libraries in /usr/share/perl5 and so on.
>
> Well, on my Slackware machine I have a /usr/share/pygtk/2.0 directory, but
> I also have /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pygtk.py, which AFAIK is what
> is used when you require it from your python scripts.
>
> What is weird for me in using /usr/share is that you mix application files
> (for example, vim files, cups files, xmms files) with language libraries.

So are Emacs lisp files application files or language libraries? Probably
both. On my system (Gentoo) they are under /usr/share. Why is a language
different from any other application? Especially since Lua may well be
embedded into an application. Perhaps OpenOffice templates should go in
/usr/lib because they may contain libraries of macros? I don't think it's
practical to draw the line where you want to draw it: too much ambiguity.

-- Jamie Webb