> Will 5.1 really be incompatible?

Surely there will be small incompatibilities. The API to GC is changing
(although few libraries use it). Also, the C API to coroutines will
probably change a little (again few libraries use it). We try to
minimize the impact of those changes, but we cannot ensure 100%
compatibility.

> And isn't 5.1 supposed to be a development branch/version leading to 6.0?

No (or not yet ;) Currently we have no plans for 6.0. The main point of
5.1 is incremental/generational garbage collection, plus small
improvements.

-- Roberto