On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 09:37, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> The FHS also says of /usr/share:
>
> "It is recommended that application-specific, architecture-independent
> directories be placed here. Such directories include groff, perl,
> ghostscript, texmf, and kbd (Linux) or syscons (BSD). They may,
> however, be placed in /usr/lib for backwards compatibility, at the
> distributor's discretion. "        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, I don't know. It is explicitly a recommendation, not a rule, and
/usr/lib is being used for every other language.

Note also that not every UNIX system follows the FHS. Not even all Linux
distributions follow the FHS. So, I believe it will not be possible to
provide a "one size fits all" solution, we'd have to go with the most
common path (backwards-compatible, at least with other languages :)

Anyway, I'd like to hear more opinions.

Andre

--
All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills
after the battle is over and shoot the wounded.