26.3.2004 kello 18:14, Jay Carlson kirjoitti:

BTW, the one thing that autoconf does better than any of its alternatives is
support cross-compilation.

Yes, unless VC++ is one of the targets.. :)  Which for me, it is.

I don't want to flame or blame - this is a case of two approaches, two flavors, and both have pros and (s)cons. ;)

After looking at Hamster it shouldn't be too hard to add simple support for
this.  I guess you can use autoconf and Hamster together...

Sure, but Hamster also has a 'try' feature:

    local have_socklen= env_ported:Try [[
		#include <sys/types.h>	// This is C code :)
		#include <sys/socket.h>
		int main( void ) { return sizeof( socklen_t ); }
		]]

That gives 'true' if the compilation (with settings from environment 'env_ported') succeeds. This particular code differs OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) from 10.3 (Panther) - required for building luaSocket succesfully. :)

Yeah, I know. Apple is good but not when it comes to backwards compatibility..
-ak