On Thursday 18 December 2003 14:22, Adam D. Moss wrote:
> You simply can't, legally (unless you provide source or relinkable
> objects for your own code).  But neither would you typically want
> to (for SDL, although you might for the other LGPL libs) because
> (on Linux -- other platforms often have more binary-sanity) SDL is
> usually compiled with distribution/platform-specific knowledge
> about which input and display schemes to support, variation from
> which can create a dependancy and support nightmare, which makes
> it very valuable to leave as a dynamic library anyway.

On Linux, yes. But my idea (currently deep-freezed because of lack of
bread-earning work) was to design a portable Lua-based "basic PC" roughly
similar to QBasic/TurboPascal for education and fun, totally portable,
device-independent, library-independent and very small. Native GUI as an
optional.
The foundation stone for the above would have been a memory-based low-level
graphics library (performance is not an issue) whose sole point of contact
with the physical device would be a single function call to copy a
rectangular area to the host's screen, converting it from the fixed in-memory
format to the current video format.

It would be ideal to use a thin device-specific layer to do the latter job,
but writing such a routine for xlib doen't seem too easy to me. Maybe it's my
very limited knowledge of xlib. So I thought of a SDL-interfacing layer as a
temporarily solution, but I don't like LGPL much.

  Enrico