Enrico Colombini wrote:
On Thursday 18 December 2003 13:28, Andre de Leiradella wrote:

The project statically links to jpeg, libpng, lua (5.0), lualib (which will
be replaced for a striped down version), SDL_ttf, SDL_gfx, SDL_image,
SDL_mixer, libmikmod, SDL_flic, SDL, zlib, zziplib and APF but is only
993.280 bytes in size. Running the executable through upx -9 gives me a
416.768 bytes executable!

How did you solve statically linking SDL with the SDL license? (I have the same problem for a currently-only-at-idea-stage project)

You simply can't, legally (unless you provide source or relinkable
objects for your own code).  But neither would you typically want
to (for SDL, although you might for the other LGPL libs) because
(on Linux -- other platforms often have more binary-sanity) SDL is
usually compiled with distribution/platform-specific knowledge
about which input and display schemes to support, variation from
which can create a dependancy and support nightmare, which makes
it very valuable to leave as a dynamic library anyway.

IIRC the SDL maintainer offers an unofficial exception for
embedded platforms where 'dynamic' linking is hard to do or
define, but IANAL.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3