On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Reyn Vlietstra wrote:

> Hello.
>
> a friend of mine had a problem like that(seg faults with simple tests).
> He was using the dynamic library, the matter was apparently resolved
> when he added -fpic (to the makefile), it might have been a
> misconfiguration, but took a while to track down and fix.  Funny things
> is that it worked when ran through valgrind.

I've just tried my dynamic Lua 5.0.1 RPM again on Fedora Core 1, and also
met with success. I added -fPIC to the CFLAGS. At the same time I also
found a bug in my .spec file which meant it wasn't using RPM_OPT_FLAGS
properly.

Running the tests that caused segfaults before now seem to meet with
success, although the cause might also be that I'm now using GCC 3.3
rather than 3.2. In any case, not using -fPIC or -fpic shouldn't cause
problems of this sort, it should just make the program slower and/or
bigger; at least that's my understanding (on x86).

So I'm happy once more, and have also updated the RPMs I offer for
download to reflect this state of bliss (see announcement that follows).

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | free, a.  already paid for (Peyton Jones)