On Tuesday 02 December 2003 12:35 pm, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> Running the tests that caused segfaults before now seem to meet with
> success, although the cause might also be that I'm now using GCC 3.3
> rather than 3.2. In any case, not using -fPIC or -fpic shouldn't cause
> problems of this sort, it should just make the program slower and/or
> bigger; at least that's my understanding (on x86).

I agree. I think that this problem needs more careful investigation. It could
point to a compiler bug in gcc 3.2, a rare heap corruption bug somewhere in
lua, or even a bug in the dynamic linker used on those systems. Do not scoff
at the notion of the latter - we have encountered a whole crop of such bugs
in glibc prior to version 2.3.

Correct me if I am wrong, but using PIC on the x86 architecture only affects
the relocations that the dynamic linker needs to do. In our experience, many
shared libraries actually run faster on Linux/x86 if they are compiled
without the PIC flag.

- Christian