* scripts (make_all, make_uname, etc.) assume that PATH contains current directory (many people refuse to do this for security reasons)

They must be in a folder that is in the PATH. I guess is not necessary that the PATH contains current directory.

   * GNU make is called "make" on Linux, not gmake

  This is documented.

   * tecmake does not have executable bit set
   * tecmake TCG_HOME is undocumented
    * kernel 2.5 not supported

These are changes that I assume it will be necessary anyway. But I´m not a UNIX expert, we have the bad habit to call the technical support...

  If you make interesting changes to these files, please share with us.

   * even after I correct the above, all IUP compiles fail

That is what I am most worried now. I´m sorry that it fails, but I cann't help you (or improve the building process) if you don't send me the details.

Please tell me where it fails. What´s you Linux distribution? What´s the Motif installed?

The newest Linux instalation we have is Red Hat 9, that runs unstable, so we will stay in RH8 for a while.

Thanks,
scuri