On the other hand, Lua cannot compete with Python's libraries, tools,
and community.  [But if you want to do something about that,
contribute a module to the Lua Binary Modules collection at
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaBinaryModules]

Hey, that's a great idea! but... hmm... "patch"... (I'm a windoze user :-)

Windows is noprroblem ;) There's a Lua4 VC project zip:
http://lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/binary_modules/win32/lua-lm-2002-11-27.zip
that can get you started I hope.
I also have those  readily compiled if you need them.

The zip should contain everything, but I'm not really sure it is absolutly current, as the transition to Lua5 has put this a little to the back row.

enjoy, Martin