On 5 Feb 2003, at 19:16, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:

> (...)
> Lua's main benefits, IMO, relative to Python, are its small size and
> relatively good performance.  Lua seems to have good acceptance in a
> few particular areas: game programming, small and embedded
> environments, and some language research projects.

Thanks, that was all clarifying!
Moral of the story: Lua plus some very few module-oriented facilities
and a truckload of modules (and a lot of people contributing) could
get better than Python, but yes, "why?" is the question, since Python
is already out there. So Lua keeps doing very well on it's own arena.

> On the other hand, Lua cannot compete with Python's libraries, tools,
> and community.  [But if you want to do something about that,
> contribute a module to the Lua Binary Modules collection at
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaBinaryModules]

Hey, that's a great idea! but... hmm... "patch"... (I'm a windoze user :-)

and then, Lua's evolution (4.0 --> 5.0, tags to metatables) and the trend
of people coding their own "mechanisms" on top of Lua's meta- ones,
seems to undermine an effort to build common code for more than one
project...

- Fabio

--
[]'s