Mmm, I explored the field but never went very far due to lack of time.
If you search the archive, you may find some URLs of interest, given by fellow members.
It can be done in C (Ansi, I don't know), with some juggling...
To really do this with fine control, I fear some assembly code is necessary, but of course portability is destroyed... One of the problems is that pushing parameters in the stack, and getting the result (which can be a struct), is strongly depending on the compiler and the platform.

One pointer might be the FuBi paper linked here: http://lua-users.org/wiki/BindingCodeToLua (scroll to bottom)

But it's trictly Win32 and uses assembly...

-Martin