On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 jim@mathies.com wrote:

> >From the About page:
>
> "Lua is a powerful light-weight programming language designed for
> extending applications."

And then goes: "Lua is also frequently used as a general-purpose,
stand-alone language."

> IMHO,
> Lua should remain a versatile embedded language / vm and not be converted
> into a bloated "we decide how you do everything" scripting environment.

We agree.

> Loadlib, the aux libs, iolib, 3rd party libraries in general.. all of
> these should be placed outside the standard Lua distribution and
> supplied as separate downloads.

I mostly agree. But loadlib is different: it is very small, and it gives
a big help in the distribution of separate downloads (because then you
do not need to recompile Lua to install these 3rd party libraries).

-- Roberto