On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 05:53:22AM -0300, Peter Wang wrote:
> If you need more speed, I'd suggest you look around at a few Forth
> or Lisp/Scheme interpreters (e.g. QScheme).  Unfortunately, most
> end-users are used to infix notation, which may limit your choice.

When I originally found Lua, I tested some common operations (loops,
math, etc) against a few Scheme interpreters and found Lua much faster
(although I didn't test QScheme). Exporting external C functions to
the Scheme interpreters was much harder than exporting functions to
Lua.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 11:20:09AM -0300, Ales Mlakar wrote:
> Another great language is EiC, similar to Lua, though in C language, where
> Lua is a bit like pascal.

In the realm of "C-interpreters" there is also seeR.

http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~ppodsiad/seer/

One big win of using a Lua-like scripting language is to get garbage
collection, pointer safety, and complex datatypes. (i.e. hash tables).

The nice thing about C-ish scripting languages such as SeeR, are that
they directly support exporting C structures into the script language,
and the script code accesses the elements directly. In Lua, the best
you can do is make a structure "look" like a table, but you (a) don't
get any typechecking, and (b) are still doing some kind of element
lookup to map the table key into a structure offset at runtime.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net